Sri Manakula Vinayagar Engineering College
INNOVATIVE TEACHING METHODOLOGY
LECTURE METHOD AND INTERACTIVE LEARNING
- To engage the lecture sessions effectively, faculty members of our department adopts various innovative teaching methods like traditional black board teaching, power point presentations, video lecturing and interactive learning methods to deliver the content to the students by means of analogy, real world examples and problematic aspects of concepts will be conveyed by a short cut method to create the best learning environment for students.
- Students are also encouraged to interact during the lecture hour in order to clarify their doubts on the spot.
- The projects, push the group of students to use their collaboration and problem-solving skills in order to come up with an original innovative idea for industrial problem , society based issues, medical field issues and agricultural problem
- Project-based learning is versatile and it can be applied to any subject to address society issues
- Students are encouraged to participate in various project contest organized by various reputed organizations
- During the period of study in the 7th to 8th semester, many real time projects are given to the students and they are guided by both faculty and Industry/Research personnel
- To understand the theoretical knowledge, students are encouraged to do mini projects in every semester
- Through the process of carrying out experiments in lab class in a group of 2/3 students, seminar and related activities like project demonstration/ presentation/ industrial visits etc, he/ she is made to learn and develop skills of collaborative learning. As a part of their teaching, the current problem associated with a particular topic of study will be normally explained to the students to make them to think towards the solution for that particular
- Mini Projects for real time applications are assigned to students during their third year of their course which paves a way for them to cultivate critical thinking and creativity.
- Texas Instruments in collaboration with Department of Science and Technology (DST), New Delhi, has organized “India Innovation Challenge Design Contest 2016 – IICDC 2016”, anchored by Indian Institute of Management (IIM), Bangalore and supported by government of India (My Gov). The semifinal round was held at IIM, Bangalore on 15th April 2017. Finally 30 teams were shortlisted for the final round of IICDC 2016 Contest which includes one team from SMVEC. Our department third year students P. Megavarman and F. Mohamed Riaz were short listed for final round. They have done and exhibited a project titled as ‘AUTOMATED ORGANIC MANURE PRODUCTION’. They have received a cash prize of Rs.75,000, financial grant of Rs.5 Lakhs for product development and Rs.20 Lakhs for startup for securing fourth position from the event organizers
- The department has sufficient number of effective technologies for teaching such as computers, LCD projectors, application software and system software. Students are encouraged to model the electrical machines and simulate electrical circuits using simulation software. Many final year projects are completed through the use of software like Matlab, Magnet, ANSYS and coding for microcontroller using KEIL.
- As a outcome of this learning our students Vasanth, Sudhagar, Kalaivanan , S.Abi and S.Presoon developed prototype model for Low cost high efficiency SRM fabrication for high electrical vehicle using FEM tool and exhibited their work in ELECTRAMA 2016 project contest.
SMART CLASS ROOM
Faculties are using SMART class room for interactive session. Projector is used to demonstrate the video (NPTEL) and audio classes. Smart board made easier to deliver the notes by the faculty instead of writing on the board. By using a smart board a document can be created and saved for the future usage. While using the same document for future the smart board made easier of the following things such as interaction, add, delete and modify information, adding graphics, video or other eye-catching information by teachers and notes taking process by the students.